I can show you my Christmas trees in the mean time. :)
I hosted Thanksgiving again because no one else will or has the room just like I have had to do for at least the last 10 years. I did not want to, but only did it because of MIL. It was a complete disappointment like I knew it would be.
It was my mom, MIL and her BF, BIL and his fiance this year. I spent two days cooking and cleaning. I was in the kitchen cooking the entire time before dinner was done. The only person who offered to help or at least keep me company was my mom. Everyone else watched football.
When it was time to eat, I ate with just my mother. Everyone else was eating in front of the tv watching football.
When dinner was over with, my mother and I cleaned up with no one else offering to help.
When I finally had a chance to sit down a chill out for the rest of the evening, that is when everyone left but my mom. They didn't even stay for dessert. I knew BIL and fiance had to go to her family's dinner, but they could have at least made an attempt to interact with me at some point while they were here.
BIL did want to take a family portrait before they left. They used my camera because their battery was dead. I looked at the photo after they left and I cried. Everyone looks nice but me. I did not have time to do my hair or makeup or to even put on something nice because I had no time to. But everyone else did because they did not have to cook or clean for two days like I did. I feel like I was just there to serve everyone.
I won't host Thanksgiving again. It's too much work and I don't think anyone has a clue how much money and work it is. To not even interact with me on top of it was very hurtful. I was sick too and after I dropped my mom off at home I thought I was going to have to go to an urgent care. While I was driving I had a horrible coughing attack that lasted over 30 minutes. I could not stop coughing! I spent the next day on the couch feeling so run down and awful.
So that is my tale of woe. My next post will be a much happier one!
12 comments:
Your dog is lovely and your trees are beautiful.
I'm sorry to hear you had a miserable Thanksgiving. At least your mum was there for you. They're good like that! :)
I hope you are feeling better now.
OH Shannon, I'm so sorry! We host to and it's interesting since my inlaws are black, lol. Try to picture half the family wanting soul food (potatoe salad, collard greens, etc) and me wanting what I grew up with, mashed potatoes, my moms dressing etc, lol. It's funny but I just made what I wanted and MIL made the soul food. I know how much money and time and energy goes into hosting. I do hope you feel better soon! It's awful to get run down over the holidays. HUGS
Oh dear I hope you are feeling better now..
Your dog is so cute and I love snow so much..
Christmas tree are so lovely..
Big hugs cucki x
I love you dog and all those treeeees!
Yes, lots of work for little appreciation sometimes. It's too bad people don't take more time to be 'thankful' for the Thanksgiving meal.
Hope you get better. in your place I would have turned the football off :D
Wow! I thought mine was sort of difficult. We did price it this year and for 9 the price was $250.00 plus. Maybe I don't shop enough at Walmart!!
Hope you feel better soon.
We don't do thanksgiving in SA but me and hubby hosted our first official Christmas last year and boy was it a lot of money and work. But we all sat around the table and had a good time. Luckily we will only be doing it again every 3 or 4 years as we take turns. Do thanksgiving only for the ppl you know will be "thankful".
Aww, how many Trees have you got??? They all look really nice.
I'm so sorry to hear about your little story. We don't have this hol in UK & France, but I'm surprise because this hol is about being thankful to things in your life if I'm correct so your family should have been thanking you for spending the day slaving in the kitchen!! The least they could have done is sit around the table to enjoy it instead of watching football... I am so so sad for you & can understand you as Christmas in our family can be a funny affair sometimes too!! Hope you're feeling better & next year just invite your Mom. The others might take the hint :P
Your trees are beautiful! So sorry to read about your bummer Thanksgiving! Everyone was supposed to come to my house but the day before changed their mind and wanted to eat at my mom's house, but I had to cook everything and bring it there! That was a pain to load up the car and take all the dishes to the other house instead (7 miles away). I packed up the leftovers and washed all the dishes too. It's too bad they didn't come eat at my house instead.
Hi Shannon
I live in Britain so don't celebrate Thanksgiving but I can relate to your tale. I think Christmas can be a lot like what you have described and it puts people under so much pressure to entertain family and friends, often for little thanks or appreciation. My Mum refused to host Christmas many years ago due to lack of help etc so now we just do things for ourselves and it is much nicer.
I hope you are feeling better soon and I think your blog is lovely. I found it through the Hermit and Stitch Weekend, as I also love to stitch.
Sorry you had such a rotten Thanksgiving. I can't help feeling that everyone was extremely ungrateful. Is there any possibility of eating out for Thanksgiving next year or scaling it down so that it is just the people you really want there?
Post a Comment