Pages

Monday, June 23, 2014

Playing around with the pattern maker again

I live in a town with many homes that are over 100 years old.  The house we are renting was built in 1901 and was one of the first homes built in this neighborhood. There are so many beautiful homes with stories here.  Unfortunately, developers are buying up all the old homes when people put them up for sale. They have been tearing down the homes to put up mini mansions.  :(  A few days ago, they tore down a gorgeous house that was built in 1901.  I am so heartbroken it was tore down!  It was one of my favorite houses in the neighborhood. 


To make myself feel better, I decided to make a pattern based off the house that is now just a giant heap of rubble.

Here is the pattern I made:

 
I have to stitch up a baby sampler for my newest great-nephew that was born last week.  After I finish that project, I will get to work on this one.
 
 



8 comments:

sharine said...

So sad to see bits of history going. Great stitching:)

Brigitte said...

Shannon, this will be a very lovely project to stitch.

Robin in Virginia said...

This will be a lovely memory for you when you get it stitched up. It is sad to see older homes torn down.

Robin in Virginia

Sarah in Stitches said...

Great design! It's so nice that you've decided to remember the beautiful house in stitching. :D

Linda said...

What a great design Shannon.

Linda

Mii Stitch said...

It is so sad, it is part of your country history! These developers have no brain... they should have restored the house. YOur design is great & would make a lovely new project :)

Barb said...

Your design is perfect. I hate that the wonderful old homes are being torn down!!!!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a great idea, it looks like a lovely house too. It would make a great series of designs, maybe a local history society would be interested in them?

I am smiling at a 1901 house though, here most of our houses are pre-1901, certainly in the villages and town centres. The newer houses tend to be on estates encircling the centres. Or built on bombsites from the 2nd World War. You see that alot, a row of Victorian terraces with a 1960 built couple in the middle.
My current house is new (1987) but is at the end of a row where my Great Grandmother was born in the 1890s. I love the idea that she walked down the same road as me every day.