My floss stash has become a pain to deal with in the last few years. A lot of it is organized in groups, but it still is a pain to find stuff.
This is my unsorted mess of floss
The rest of the floss lives in this bag which is half emptied out because I was trying to find something
Otherwise that bag is stuffed to the top with bags and bags of floss
I decided that I have to get my floss under control again! So I went shopping at Joann's today and picked up some boxes and bobbins. I am going to be a very busy girl! But it should all be worth it to have nice organized floss once again. :)
Today I also decorated my little tree for St. Patrick's Day. It totally needs more decorations! But since this is the first time I have ever had a St. Patrick's Day tree, I didn't have much to work with. I will have to see what more I can find or make for it.
Have a great day everyone!
12 comments:
Good luck with your organizing! I'm a total fan of the box&bobbins (because I buy cheap boxes and cut the cardboard bobbins myself) Lately I've been using the wild olive cute printables and winding the thread has becime more fun than usual :D
http://wildolive.blogspot.com/2009/11/printable-thread-bobbins.html
I don't know if this helps any but the way I have my floss organized is that whatever I'm currently using for projects is on labeled bobbins in boxes, arranged in numerical order. The rest of my floss "stash" is in a zip-loc bag BUT I have a spreadsheet with every number of DMC floss typed out in a graph with two columns following each number. The first column gets an "X" if I have that color to begin with (which is wound on the floss box). If I have extra of that color in my stash, I write how many skeins of it extra I have in the next column over. If I use one out of my stash, I just update my checklist. That way, I'm never hunting through bags looking for one color I may or may not have. I can just open up the spreadsheet and see. A little obsessive, I know.
wow thats a lot of floss!! I have one of each colour wound onto a bobbin and stored in floss boxes in numerical order, I then have 2 towers of drawers (one dmc & one anchor) holding all my duplicates, one drawer for each colour, I need to think about a spreadsheet really as it'd save me looking through the drawer when I run out. My hand dyed floss is stored in floss bags, one for each colour but I keep any duplicates in the same bag, I then store these in plastic boxes, one for each brand. I labelled everything with Dymo labels so I can see at a glance where everythign is. Good luck with your sorting, just remember how much stitching time you'll give yourself not having to hunt for everything when it's all done!
I've also been struggling with how to organize my floss. I am a big fan of Stitch Bows, but I haven't found a good way to organize all the regular stock (what's not with a current project) in some sort of numerical fashion.
I wish you well in your winding. (I can't stand winding bobbins myself. blech!)
Good luck with all that bobbin. It will look great once it is finished.
Good luck with organizing your floss. It can be a real pain to do it but so satisfying after it's done. Like Ewa, I keep track of my floss using a spreadsheet. It's so much easier in my opinion :)
Hugs,
Veronica.
The floss in the baggiescould be put in numerical order using bread baskets..I put mine in unused Longaberger ones;however, I mention this only to emphasie the shape...Winding bobbins works but puts creases in your thread, good reason to wet first to check for color fastness..
Yay for organizing!! I'm not nearly as organized as Ewa or Veronica, but I do keep my DMC threads on bobbins in fishing tackle boxes (they're cheaper and the same thing as thread boxes!!) My specialty threads are all on 1 ring and hanging over one of those Matriushka dolls! LOL! That's my organization!! Looks like you'll be sorting for a bit, which takes time, but in the end, oh so worth it!!!!
Hello
You have a lot of lovely stash!
Good luck with the organising.
You will be happy when all of your floss is organized. I remember doing that years ago. I also use the boxes and floss cards and I find winding and watching tv very relaxing.
For my beads, I found little clear boxes with 30 little clear jars inside. I bought white circle stickers at the office store and write the bead number on it and attach to the lid. After using the "bead hive" and the strip boxes, I really like the the little jars the best. Have fun organizing.
I store my floss in little baggies in numerical order in photo boxes. I don't like the creases in the floss from the bobbins. I also have a printout of all the DMC numbers with an X next to the colors I have.
I love your St. Patrick's Day tree! What a wonderful idea!
Good luck with the organizing!!
Post a Comment